header image

“Don’t MAKE Me Turn This Government Around”

Posted by: | May 20, 2009 | 2 Comments |

With a failing domestic economy, a years-long war in the Middle East, and a potential influenza pandemic emerging, you would think (and hope) that our politicians would be devoting every waking second working towards rectifying these problems, right? Well, you’d be wrong.

Instead of trying to solve problems that are actually important, our government leaders have instead been focusing on inane issues. For example, senior members of the GOP have recently decided that the most pressing issue they should address within the Republican National Committee is the renaming of the Democratic Party. An official resolution has been put forth to change the name of the Democratic Party to the “Democrat Socialist Party.” I’ve come to expect this pointless name-calling from various conservative pundits such as Ann Coulter and Rush Limbaugh, but this directive is coming from some of the top officials in the GOP. RNC Chairman Michael Steele is even having difficulty comprehending the stupidity of this move, and has been vehemently discouraging the members of the RNC to actually vote on this proposal. At least someone in the party has some sense. Instead of actually renaming the party, Steele is advocating that the RNC merely pass a resolution that will condemn what the Republicans call “the Democrats’ march to socialism.”

Additionally, a multitude of states (Washington, New Hampshire, Arizona, Montana, Michigan, Missouri, Oklahoma, California, Georgia, Colorado, Hawaii, Pennsylvania, Arkansas, Idaho, Indiana, Alaska, Kansas, Alabama, Nevada, Maine, Texas, and Illinois) have decided that now is a good time to either submit or begin work on resolutions to declare state sovereignty. Texas has gone so far as to begin talks of secession. I understand that the Tenth Amendment is an important part of our Constitution, which states that “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” Even being a Democrat myself, I realize and respect the fact that a federal government that is too powerful benefits no one, and that a balance of power between the federal government and state governments is important.

However, I also believe that a sense of timing is prudent. Right now, our country is struggling immensely with domestic and foreign problems. It makes no sense to me to be introducing trivial and pointless resolutions to declare state sovereignty or change a rival party’s name to something that is clearly meant to be condescending. Our government officials need to stop acting like bickering and immature children, and need to start taking care of our country, because otherwise, the prediction made by Russian professor Igor Panarin may not be so laughable after all. 

under: Uncategorized

2 Comments

1. By: zap1719 on May 25, 2009 at 12:40 pm      

Like Carly, I have also noticed some unimportant topics being discussed by today’s politicians. This is a very bad time for petty arguments within our government. The U.S. is in its worst financial crisis it is ever seen, and we are still fighting a war on terrorism on multiple fronts (throughout Middle East). The war itself is a leading contributor to this seemingly insurmountable debt. And what about the environment? If CO2 emissions and global warming trends continue, what is going to happen to the world which we all share? It is time for name-calling between political parties to be put aside, and we need to come together and discuss plans that will get us out of the trouble we are in, and prevent further trouble in the future.

2. By: mrmcenroe on May 25, 2009 at 8:59 pm      

I enjoyed this one. You present the topic comprehensively with a steady hand and style. Well done!

Leave a response

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Categories